Saturday, April 18, 2009

well that wasn't fun

Avery is having a 30-minute nap kind of day. What's new. I really am trying to just let it go. But it makes for a VEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYYY long day when nap-time is only 30 minutes. So my husband suggested taking her for a walk. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Why not, right?

I'll tell you why not. Avery decided exactly half-way through our neighborhood loop that she didn't want to be in the stroller anymore. She wanted OUT and she wanted OUT NOW! I realized then that I forgot to bring the ergo carrier with me. I also forgot my cell phone. Nobody was coming to save us. And let me tell you, her screaming doesn't die down in a situation like this. It gets worse and worse and worse and louder and louder and louder. There was only one solution. 

So off we went -- a 17-pound baby in one arm and a giant jogging stroller in the other. Bugs in my face, sweat on my back and my panti-liner bunched up in my undies. Yes I am still wearing panti-liners almost 7 months after delivery. I know I need to do my kegels but I barely have time to breathe, never mind remember to flex. Sorry I digress.

We walked over a mile like that, most of it up-hill. Do you know how heavy 17 pounds is after a mile?!?!? I'm sure I was breaking some cardinal rule of pregnancy with this one. But what choice did I have?

I'm trying to enjoy my beautiful baby girl. I really am. But all I could think was "well this isn't fun." In fact, I said that right out loud for all the world to hear. THIS ISN'T FUN AT ALL!!!!! 

My hands are full. Literally. How I am going to make room in them for another precious, helpless, needy little life? Can somebody please tell me how on earth am I going to do this?

2 comments:

  1. Yikes.... I'm stressed for you. I'm sorry. It doesn't sound like you're having fun with her at all... I am not an expert, but perhaps she senses the stress and (sorry, but) annoyances you have toward her?
    Every other blog or post is about frustration, and maybe it doesn't have to be that "hard".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read my comments, and realize that that that sounds really insensitive... i dont mean to come across that way at all.
    what I mean, is, that if she senses you're stressed and annoyed at the situation, it might cause her anxiety... not good for either of you.
    I KNOW how it makes you want to beat your head on a wall when you can't soothe your little one, and I wish you nothing but peaceful outings in the future... hang in there. You ARE a good mommy for even continuing to nourish and stimulate her under the most trying of circumstances

    ReplyDelete