Tuesday, April 21, 2009

good-bye to my skinny jeans

I remember about a week after Avery was born, I braved it up, pulled out my skinny jeans and tried to squeeze myself into them. I could barely get one leg in. It was depressing. But I kept working at it. 

I also remember the day a month or two later that I got both legs in. And I remember the day I zipped them all the way up. Pure bliss. 

I've worn those beautiful skinny jeans just about every day since. (And I've washed them a thousand times too due to all the spit-up). The bottoms are now frayed and just a week or so ago I noticed a tiny little tear in the left knee that has since grown into a full-blown hole. My jeans have been like my post-partum blankie. I don't go anywhere without them.

Sadly, though, I think our relationship is coming to an end. I am wearing them right now as I type this. But I have to be honest, I'm not very comfortable. I've got a muffin top and it doesn't feel good. And here's a confession -- sometimes when I'm driving, I actually unzip them and let my belly out. 

Last time around I couldn't wait to wear my maternity clothes. I had nothing but pure pride for my elastic waist bands and tent shirts. This time around is very different. I look at my maternity wardrobe and I feel a certain loathing. I swear, I just packed it all up.

I've dreaded this day. But I think it might be time. Goodbye skinny jeans. Welcome back maternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment