Thursday, May 7, 2009

Who doesn't love Sesame Street?

I spent the first 7 months of Avery's life trying to steer her away from the tv. When she was really little she was fascinated by it, stretching her neck in every which direction just to catch a glimpse of the big, bright, moving, sound-making machine. On many occasions I had to turn the darn thing off and remind her that her real live mother was much more interesting.

Nowadays she could really care less. Problem is, I kind of want her to care. 

See, showering is a challenge. She gets bored sitting in her bouncy seat in the bathroom. And who can blame her? She's a moving, cruising, adventure-seeking little lady. Sitting just isn't her thing. But can I really have her crawling around while I'm behind the curtain. My husband doesn't like the idea. He's afraid she'll lick the toilet. And quite frankly, I'm getting a little tired of playing peek-a-boo while trying to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. But I'm desperate for my 10 uninterrupted minutes of pure hot shower heaven. Is that too much to ask?

Naps are out of the question. By the time I'd get my teeth brushed, clothes off and water on, she'd be screaming letting me know naptime is over. So we decided we'd give up our fight, bow our heads in shame and do what I said I'd never do. Television. Introduce her to Sesame Street. It's educational, right? 

So I dragged the exersaucer up to our bedroom and stuck it in front of the tv. I set her up with toys, books and the best children's show of all time. And guess what? She could care less. Apparently Big Bird just isn't her thing.

Yet I find myself embarrassingly mesmerized by the giant yellow bird. We turn it on for her in the morning too when my husband and I need a few extra minutes of shut-eye. She plays happily with her toys and I lie there in bed studying the letter of the day with Elmo and wishing I were 3 again. 

Seriously, who doesn't love Sesame Street?

No comments:

Post a Comment