Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dear Avery -- 12 weeks old

Dear Avery,

Yesterday was our Weight Watchers day. I love bringing you there. And you love it too. You stand on my lap and look around and smile at everyone. You are so social. And boy do you bring joy to all the old ladies at our meeting. They always tell me what a good baby you are!

I didn't lose any weight this week. Actually I gained a little. But it's ok. Because I gained something else while we were there. A new friend.

You'd think that making friends as an adult is easy. Actually it isn't. It's a little bit trickier than it was as a kid. And I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it. 

I've always had good friends. Friendship has been a constant source of joy and energy and warmth and love in my life. I wouldn't trade my friends for anything.

But as I've grown up, so have they. They have jobs and families and travels and schedules. They have lives. And theirs don't always line up with mine. I find myself talking about you sleeping through the night or throwing up all over me or pooping on our neighbor's rug. And you know what? They're not always all that interested. I don't blame them really. I wouldn't have been interested a few months ago either. 

But time marches on. Old chapters close and new ones open.  Kind of like friendships. Only old friendships don't have to end. They are the most special kind. But there's always room for new ones.

So you and I are making new friends together. Thomas is just about a month older than you. The old ladies in our meeting like to say that he's your boyfriend. You sure do love looking at him! Thomas is your new friend. And his mommy is my new friend.

We did the same with our neighbors. Hunter is a month younger than you. He is your other new friend and his mommy is mine. They don't mind talking about poop. In fact, it was his rug you pooped on!

The other day we went to play with Michelle and Zoey. Do you know that Michelle is my oldest friend? I've known her my whole entire life. Our mommies became friends when we were babies. And now our babies are friends. Amazing, isn't it?

Finding a friend is like finding a treasure. I'm so proud of us, Avery. What a wonderful adventure we're having finding them together.

I love you sweet girl.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment