Monday, October 12, 2015

Dear Avery -- 7 years old

Dear Avery,

I don't know how the time keeps slipping away. Your birthday was a few weeks ago already. You decided this year to invite just two friends (Rylan and Ashley) to Rock On Adventures and then out to dinner. You insisted on dinner at Bertucci's and THEN ice cream at Friendly's. Dad and I tried to convince you to make it a one-stop event but the princess could not be swayed.

You are a girl who knows what you want, and you will accept nothing less. At age 7 this quality can get you into trouble. Dad and I are constantly having to remind you that you are not in charge. We have to tell you again and again that you are not Tyler's mother...that you are not the adult. We have had power struggles with you that have lasted for hours. We have removed your bedroom door because of one too many slams. We have gone to the ends of the earth to teach who how to comply and respect authority. You do not back down easily.

At 7 it can be tough. But someday this quality will serve you well. You will be the CEO of a big company or the superintendent of a school district or the mayor of a city. Or something entirely different. I just know you will be something big. You will be somebody powerful and amazing. You will move mountains. I have no doubt you will make this world a more beautiful place.

And in the meantime, you will be our strong-willed, creative, sassy, powerful bigger-than-life 7-year-old daughter. You will shriek with excitement over your rapidly growing collection of Shopkins. You will dance to Taylor Swift and sing your little heart out. You will cartwheel all over every room of our house. You will watch endless Youtube videos of other little girls your age doing all sorts of creative things. You will continue taking your own videos and introduce yourself every time with "Hi guys, this is Avery from Avery's channel." You will run around the yard with your brother and come inside with dirty feet and leaves in your hair. You will kick him in the stomach and tell him you love him all in the same breath. You will sleep on the floor next to our bed every night and mutter under your breath at me every morning. You will love me. You will hate me. You will need me. You will want me gone. You will beg me to stay.

Don't you worry baby doll, I'm not going anywhere. Through every bit of it, I will love you. Every foot stomp and eye roll...I will love you. Until the end of time. I am proud to be your mother and can think of no dream bigger than this one.

I love you so much.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment