Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dear Avery -- happy 1st birthday!







Dear Avery,

I'm sorry this letter is belated. I've had it written in my head now for a week but it's getting harder and harder to find the time to sit down at my computer and write. You are one busy little lady and I am one tired pregnant mama.

You are 1-year-old now. I don't know how or where the time went. But it did. You had such a wonderful birthday weekend. You woke up on the day of the your birthday all smiles and squeals. Daddy and I went to greet you and we sang you the first of many "happy birthdays". You danced and jumped up and down in your crib and sang along with us. You knew it was going to be a special day. Nana and Papa came to visit and we took you to the farm. I can't say you loved the goats (don't worry, I don't really love goats either) but you sure had a ball in the pumpkin patch. And boy did you have fun playing with your papa.

Saturday was the day of the big party. You were in your glory with all the kids running around our yard. I don't think you stopped moving the entire time. You loved every minute of it. So did I.

A year ago we brought home from the hospital this tiny, mysterious stranger. And somehow along the way you have become a little person. My best friend. My love. My daughter. Daddy and I are so proud of you. You are smart, affectionate, curious and always so independent. You can say mama, dada, nana, papa, bye-bye, pumpkin, car, and backpack. You can sing and dance and jump. I think your laugh will always be my favorite sound in the world.

Tonight I had an honest talk with you. I told you that the baby is coming. It's coming soon, sweetheart -- just four more weeks. Of course you don't know what that means. Yes, you love to kiss my belly but you have no idea what's in there. You're still a baby yourself. But I need you to understand what it doesn't mean. This baby is no replacement for you. And I will never love you any less. I will love you double.

Last week at the grocery store the cashier asked me how far apart my babies will be. When I told her 13 months she looked horrified and told me she hopes her daughter doesn't make the same mistake as me. I wanted to spit at her.

Being 8 months pregnant and taking care of you is challenging. I have days that are really, really hard -- days when I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed I can only bury my head and cry. Some days I am really terrified about adding another new life to the mix.

But let me tell you this. You are no mistake. And neither is your brother or sister. The two of you are God's greatest gifts to me. I will always cherish you. I thank my lucky stars every single day. I love you both more than you could ever know. I hope you always know that.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. First off, Happy Birthday Avery!! Where has the year gone? I have been reading this blog ( still can't remember where I clicked on it from, maybe bustedbabymaker?) for about a year then.

    As far as the cashier goes, I'm proud of you for not spitting at her. I'm sure you could of thought of 100 things after the fact to tell her, but you had grace in time of trouble. Great job!!
    My sister had her daughter 13 months and 10 days after her son and they did fine. You will do fine. You'll have your days like any normal mom who just had a baby, but God will ( He promises) give you strength for each day! I look forward to seeing what this little cherub will be! God bless you as you go on this amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the sweetest post! I've been lurking for some time now, found you from Love, Pain, and the Whole Crazy Thing. I'm sorry that cashier said such an unkind and thoughtless thing! As if there has never been a woman with babies close in age. :) You'll do great and your babies will be so close, what a special thing! Best wishes for the next month, and looking forward to seeing your next little cutie. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete