Thursday, February 18, 2010

our valentine's day drama

We were at Target and Phil was paying for everything while I was getting the kids into the car. We were there to buy a new lamp because Avery pulled the lamp off the table that morning. When I tried to assess the damage and put it back together I actually got electrocuted, sparks and everything!! I guess it's a good thing we were at Target and not the emergency room!

Anyway I got Tyler in first and then was getting Avery in. She was playing with my keys and I was about to take them away but Tyler started crying so I ran around to the other side of the car to give him his paci. It was cold and I closed Avery's door before running to the other side. Well she pressed the lock button!!!

I don't think I even realized the potential emergency until Phil came out and I had to tell him -the kids were locked inside. Thank god he was with me! Then Ty started screaming and pulled the bundle-me up over his face. Then I really started to panic. Both of our cell phones were also locked inside the car. DH ran inside to go call the police and I spoke very calmly to Avery through the window asking her (begging her) to please, pretty please press the OTHER button on the keys. She just kept pressing the lock button over and over thinking it was the funniest thing in the world. I was TERRIFIED she was going to drop the keys.

Thankfully she didn't drop them and eventually pressed the unlock button. Looking back on it I can't believe nobody stopped to ask if I needed help. I was practically crying and it was obvious I was talking to a very young child through a window for a much longer time than would be normal on a cold day.

Anyway note to self -- never let your LO play with your keys INSIDE of your car unless you are inside with him/her. I went back to Target today and got Avery her very own key set that looks like real keys and they even have a lock/unlock button.

1 comment:

  1. *gasp* So glad that everyone was ok!! That must of been THE scariest thing ever!! I hope that in the future you'll be able to laugh at this, just not any time soon :)

    ReplyDelete